Monday, January 12, 2009

Didn't Get Away

I installed Fishing Buddy before I moved on from Orgrimmar & Old Crafty. I headed for Stonebull Lake, where, according to the vast majority of reports on El's Extreme Anglin's forums (which seems to be pretty straightforward and accurate data primarily provided by the Fishing Buddy addon) seems to be in the running for the easiest place to catch one of the rare fish listed in the "The One That Didn't Get Away" achievement, right along with Howling Fjord and the Dark Herring. So I gave it a try, and the following are my results. Slightly skewed, because I had the hope that I'd be one of those super lucky people who catches the hard one in like 20 casts, so I made 20 casts before I started recording data. Here is the data I collected from Stonebull Lake in Mulgore, in my attempt to catch a 15lb. Mud Snapper:

Brilliant Smallfish - 270 - 61.1%
Longjaw Mud Snapper - 163 - 36.9%
10lb. Mud Snapper - 3 - 0.7%
12lb Mudsnapper - 2 - 0.5%
Bloated Smallfish - 2 - 0.5%
Minor Healing Potion - 1 - 0.2%
15lb. Mud Snapper - 1 - 0.2%

-------------------------------------

Now we have my dirty data - the 20 casts I made before I started recording info. So on top of the numbers and percentages listed above, add 20 casts of approximately the same drop rates of the smallfish and longjaw mudsnappers, with one exception. One out of 20 of those casts was a Pellet Rifle. The other 19 were normal fish.

Total fish - 462 to catch a 15lb. Mud Snapper at Stonebull Lake. Or 5 beers. Or 3 hours. However you want to time it. Any way you look at it, I've had a pretty awesome day today fishing. Both Old Crafty and The One That Didn't Get Away in less than 500 casts. Look at the stats - that's pretty lucky.

I was getting approximately 150 casts per hour. I said in my first post something about 50 casts per hour. I may have read that in El's forums, but I can say that it's not accurate, whoever may have said that. It wasn't El. Just wanted to clarify that it was NOT part of his awesome fishing guide, unless someone may have been talking about pool fishing, perhaps. Then I could see a realistic 50 casts per hour. The way I see it, all of these catches are based on RNG (Random Number Generator) results, so the only way to increase your odds is to cast as quickly and as often as possible. Kinda like playing the lottery.

So with that approximation (there were beer and bathroom breaks, wife aggro, etc.) it took me just over 3 hours to fish up the 15lb Mud Snapper.

There you have it.

On to Mr. Pinchy. More updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment